Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Summary

After a day of worship like today, all I can say is WOW!!! God met us at 8 am and stayed with us all day long! Our Early Morning Prayer Service is usually a mixture of prayers and hymns, but on today, the saints at BBC really poured their hearts out and invoked the presence of the Lord. It was a very moving prayer meeting, and from that moment, I knew that it would be a wonderful day of worship!

I want to take this time and thank our Music Ministry for allowing the spirit of God to move on them in the worship service. There has been a gap between devotion and the call to worship that has really stymied worship, but today they stepped in, filled the gap, and really set the tone for worship.

I approached the preaching moment with great excitement. We continued in our series, "Real Worship". I preached a message from Genesis 28:10-22 entitled, "When Jacob got to the House of God". This is a message that I really enjoyed preaching, because I can identify with Jacob, and like him, I have a new name and a new walk!! I'm about to shout!! Here's the basic outline:

When Jacob got to the house of God, he:

1. Saw a vision

2. Heard a voice

3. Made a vow

God really blessed the preaching moment and added a soul to the congregation today! I was elated at that moment because it has been some time since we have received new souls, but this was God's way of telling me what He told Jacob in the text, "Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you" (Genesis 28:15 ESV).

After morning worship, the family and I were invited to Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church to eat with my brother and fellow blogger, Pastor McGhee and his family. The food was good and the fellowship was great. I dined to my elegant sufficiency! I ate so much, I was worried about being to full to preach.

I was extremely excited about preaching for my brother. I have the utmost of respect for Pastor McGhee and the ministry that the Lord has given him. In my opinion, he is one of the greatest preacher/pastors that this country has to offer. I am always humbled beyond expression to share in front of him and his great congregation. We were also blessed to have Pastor Ray E. Owens, and the Macedonia family. With all of that preaching prowess in the place, I was flat out scared!!

God allowed me to preach a message from Romans 1:16 entitled "The Gospel". Here's the outline:

1. Emancipated opinion (I'm not ashamed of the gospel)

2. Eternal Origin (Of Christ)

3. Effectual Operation (It is the power of God)

4. Expected Outcome (Unto Salvation)

5. Evangelistic Outreach (To everyone that believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek).

God blessed the exposition! After service was over, several members of GSJMBC and MMBC came up to me and said that they were not ashamed either. That blessed me because it showed me that not only were they responsive, they were receptive to the message.

I believe that God was pleased with my offering of worship, and I can't wait to do it all over again!!

11 comments:

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Revun, thank you for being a friend to lift up my down spirits. It is apparent that BBC and Greater St. John's were blessed by the preaching ministry of KD Witherspoon. You is a wonderful brother to help this week.

Lance

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Brother,

You just don't know how much of a blessing you were to us this day.
The preaching was powerful, pertinent, purposeful and precise. I am still feasting on the fellowship. You are certainly my brother in whom I am well pleased.

Thanks!

Fitts said...

Doc Spoon, I have been missing in action for the last couple of days, but I have missed reading your post with these off the chain outlines!!!

Great work preacher, I can't wait to hear you in person.

DeAntwan

HALLELUJAH said...

WOW,

I really enjoyed the WORD and I too am not ashamed of the Gospel of JESUS Christ. I got my praise on that evening.

I look forward to fellowshipping more with BBC.

GOD Bless~~~

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Spoon, The Lord blessed us through your faithfulness to the Word of God. I am glad my church got the chance to experience for one day what I get every day by my association with you and Dr. McGhee.

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Sounds like another great day in the Lord. Great outlines! God bless you in your continued serve for Him!

Ronald said...

My man, Doctor Spoon you are a good communicator of God’s word.

Keep preaching Pastor!

Ron

Clinton Smith said...

Doc Spoon, you hit out of the park both times. My question is, what must I do to be saved!

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Doc, Thank you for sharing such a wonderful day of your worship experience. So glad that you had fellowship with your blog brother and family. It sounds as though you didn't eat so much that you couldn't preach. I know I would have been proud as well as the others. Ain't God Good? Good preaching, good fellowship, good food, PLUS the addition to the church! That's a REAL good day and "Sunday Summary".
God be Praised.

Mother

Anonymous said...

Pastor Witherspoon your sermon at Greater St. John was so spiritural fulfilling this past Sunday. You really helped us show appreciation to our wonderfuil Pastor. We (my wife and I) can't wait to visit your church to hear you on your home court. Pastor McGhee I am sure would encourage us to visit you. We are the Armstrong's photograhers of Greater St. John.

Brother Armstrong

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Preacher...man, you have it together!!! I wish to grow up and be as you and Mann. Glad to see t hat all went well this past Sunday. You are in my thoughts and prayers; be encouraged as you stand to proclaim God's Word this Sunday. God Bless my friend.