Monday, December 29, 2008

Sunday Summary

I want to start this post off by saying happy holidays to everyone. I pray that your Christmas was well. The family and I went back home to Gary and spent time with family. It was very enjoyable for us.

We had a wonderful day of worship at BBC this Lord's Day. Since the start of the cold weather, attendance at Early Morning Prayer Meeting has been low, but that has not stopped the fervency of the prayer warriors at BBC. This prayer service has done tremendous things for our worship service.

As pastor's most of us have special Sunday's that we look forward to. I do need to say this, every opportunity to stand and proclaim my uncompromising convictions about my Christ is a blessing and a privilege, however there are some Sundays that I especially look forward to because of the occasion. The last and first Sunday's of the year are those for me. So it is needless to say that I approached the preaching moment with great anticipation.

I really wanted to minister to the congregation about the importance of moving from one year into a new one as well as seizing the opportunity to do something great for the Lord. The Lord directed me to the book of Haggai. Haggai was a minor prophet with a major message! He preached to Israel about the importance of re building the temple. The people's initial response was that it was not time. Haggai responded by saying, "Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes. (1:4-6 ESV)".

God linked their lack of comfort and currency to their lack of concern and care for the things of God. I tell our church all of the time that you need material things. After all, you cannot go to the grocery store, fill your cart with items, proceed to the check out line, and then tell the clerk, "Jesus paid it all". However, personal pursuits should not be our primary purpose. Our main focus should be doing what God would have us to do, after all the Scripture says in Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

So they begin the work and there are some people left that saw Solomon's temple and did not think that this one was up to par. Comparisons are extremely dangerous for us to engage in as children of God. This is where we get to the text that I preached. I preached from verses 6-9. The message was entitled, "Building God a House" Here's the basic outline:

1. Prophecy

2. Provision

3. Promise

God blessed the exposition and when the invitation was extended, the Lord blessed us with 2 adult candidates for baptism!! Hallelujah! I think this was a great way to end the year. I believe that God was pleased with our offering of public worship on yesterday!

Pray for us at BBC as we go into our annual 3 day fast for restoration and renewal. This is a 72 hour fast where we abstain from all food until the new year. In case I don't post again before Jan. 1 let me say to all, "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!"

8 comments:

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

I pray that you and your family had a great Christmas! Thank you for your posts. They are so insightfull and really bless me.
Your Brother in Christ,
Aaron

Ronald said...

Happy Holidays to you too Pastor, thank you for this great post. Suggestion corner will you please make your DVD/CD ministry available to your internet church for 2009?

Praise God for the two adult decisions for baptism. Remain faithful there is no telling what God is going to do through you Pastor.

Happy New Year
Ron

HALLELUJAH said...

Happy Holidays.

To The Witherspoon Family.

From The Wilson Family.


GOD Bless~~~

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Spoon you are a wonderful pastor/preacher that is a benefit to BBC and I know that you brought down heaven into the sanctuary. Bless you my friend!

Lance

Rev. Barney said...

God bless you Pastor. You have been a great source of help, encouragement & inspiration for me during this first year of pastoral ministry.

I know you are a God sent man, please stay humble & hungry before God. please stay bold & bright before His people.

May God prosper all that you do for the kingdom in this coming year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Pastor keep looking ahead.
God's blessings upon your labors.

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Pastor Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Spoon,

Sounds like the Lord showed himself mighty in BBC on Sunday. I am praying for your fast and for your ministry within our community in 2009. It is so amazing what God is getting ready to do through you and BBC here in South Bend.

Keep running,
Owens

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Great post my brother. I look forward to great things for you and your family this New Year.