Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday Tidbits

I received this in an email and thought it would make for interesting conversation.

Just Because He's Black

A white man asked his black friend, 'Are you voting for Barack Obama just because he's black?'The black man responded by saying, 'Why not? In this country men are pulled over everyday just cause they're black; passed over for promotions just cause they're black; considered to be criminals just cause they're black; and there are going to be thousands of you who won't be voting for him just because he's black! However, you do not seem to have a problem with that!

This country was built with the sweat and whip off the black slaves' back, and now a descendant of those same slaves has a chance to lead the same country, where we weren't even considered to be people, where we weren't allowed to be educated, drink from the same water fountains, eat in the same restaurants, or even vote. So yes! I'm going to vote for him! But it's not just because he's black, but because he is hope, he is change, and he now allows me to understand when my grandson says that he wants to be president when he grows up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term goal. He now sees,understands and knows that he can achieve, withstand and do ANYTHING just because he's black!'

9 comments:

Fitts said...

Very thought provoking, however I'm sure we both agree that it is just as racist to vote for Senator Obama because he is black as it is to not vote for him because he's black.

Futhermore I'm not sure that Obama will usher in the change that we need as a people.

Lastly, I agree that racism existed and still exist (within all races), I think the race card is way overstatted. We have a black man who is likely going to be the next president of the United States and it is not just because blacks are going to vote him in.

What about Secretary of State Condelisa Rice, where is the exitement for a black woman making it so far up the political ladder?

Again great thought provoking post, I love this type of healthy dialogue. Keep them coming!

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Great post! I think the important thing to remember is to vote for the canidate that stands for what is right, regardless of their race. Thanks for this post.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am voting for Senator Obama for all of the reasons mentioned above which includes him being a black man. I have been voting my entire adult life. I am past fifty looking at 60 and I have voted for NO ONE ELSE but a white man for President. I pray fervently that he succeeds. I don't even want a woman of ANY COLOR to achieve the highest office in the land before the black man. It is time. He has paid his dues. If the democratic candidate was white again I would vote for him again. I am just PROUD that this time our candidate happens to be black and is the right "man" for the job at this time.

Everyone is intitled to vote for whomever they believe will serve this country the best.

Mother

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

Doc, are you alright? Hope your blood pressure has come down. We are all Christians here and we are dialogging in Christian love. Everything is OK with all concerned.

Mother

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Outstanding post Spoon! I agree with Mother V. in that we should be able to disagree with each other, but still do it in manner of love for your brother and sister in Christ. I am glad that we can be able to talk with one another from other sides of the country about the things that are affecting us.

Whoever gets elected, this is still the best time in history to Pastor and lead God's people, for in times like these, this world needs Jesus more than ever.

Great job revun!

Lance

Fitts said...

I agree, and I value and appreciate the things I get from you all. My blog is read by a lot of people from my church and within my contacts. They get to hear healthy arguments from believers on both sides.

Thanks to all of you for your insightful thought comments and most of all, thanks for your love and commitment to our Lord Jesus Christ!

I love you all!!!

HALLELUJAH said...

My thought,

If it is meant for him to be in the whitehouse, nothing in the world can stop GOD(S) plan.

Brother: Wilson

Rev. Barney said...

How do I begin this post......let me see, hu-m-m-m. ok, here goes..

I come from wa-a-a-a-ay down in Missippi. A place where sunshine was pumped in. I got my first pair shoes when I was seven. I road on my mother's cotton sack. My play matters were the chickens. Yes it is time for change for our country no matter what the color. A very wise young man once told me when I was offer a church without going through the candidating process, "Don't let you ambition be your guide.

This matter needs serious prayer minus the "fear" factor. Ok, I have prayed.

O: only
B; Because
A: America
M: Must
A: Avance

:)

Ronald said...

As the official president of the “Dr. Spoon”, fan club. Thanks for this post Doc.

Sola Scriptura
Ronald