Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday in the Word

We had a wonderful Wednesday in the Word! It was really good for me to be back in the saddle. I didn't realize how much I had missed the congregation. We both were glad to be in other's presence!

Our Sunday School Teacher's Meeting was really good. I always get tremendous feedback from the students, which makes for a good class. Our lesson was entitled " A new beginning for Saul", taken from Acts 9:1-19a.

This lesson was packed with points for us to ponder. I will lift just 2 that really caught my eye and excited our class. The first is the the Protest of Ananias. Acts 9:13 (NIV) "Lord," Ananias answered, "I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your saints in Jerusalem." How many times have we protested what God has said based upon someones past? I have some scars from my past. Most people call them tattoos. I have been excluded from so many things in church because of what someone has heard or assumed about my past. I do believe that we need to make wise decisions about people, however we can miss out on something beneficial if we only look at a person's past.

Next, look at the Providence of God, Acts 9:15-16 (NIV) But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name." Unknown to Ananias was the fact that God had already had an encounter with Saul. God can work on both ends at the same time! When God commissioned Ananias, He had already converted Paul! We must be careful not to let our protest outshine God's providence!

In Bible Class, we continued our study in the book of Romans. Today, we looked at Romans 1:24-32. In these verses, Paul gives us the results of God's condemnation of the heathen. These verses suggest that God condemned the heathen for his own willful rejection of the Truth of God manifested in them and in Creation. God dealt with them, not by sending down fire, but by giving them over to their thoughts, imaginations, and affections. I often tell the congregation that God does not have to knock your eye out. He can stop holding it in!

Romans 1:25-27 (NIV) They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion. This passage deals with the often taboo church subject of sexual immorality. I went at it head on! Fornication, adultery, and homosexuality was, is, and always morally, physically, and spiritually wrong. We must not compromise our Christian convictions because of our current culture.

I could go on and on about this, but I will stop here. God Bless!!!

6 comments:

HALLELUJAH said...

Sounds like you all had a full filing supper over there at BBC.

Go head on Pastor!!!

I like that.

Brother: Wilson

Fitts said...

Good stuff brother Pastor, sounds like a study I would have loved to sit in on. That Romans 1 passage is too much!!!

Thanks for the post.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Glad to have you back in the saddle Dr. Spoon. Great post!

Lance

Rev. Ray E. Owens said...

Doc,

I love this text, I hate I had surgery this week and don't have my voice as I love this passage so much, "Arise Ananias and you will find him on Straight Street" People who have never been crooked don't understand the beauty of straight street, bless you reverend.

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Sounds like a great look at God's word. God bless you my brother!

Ronald said...

That’s it I’m going public with it. I am officially starting the “Spoon” fan club.
All jokes aside it sounds like you really had a rewarding time in Bible study keep your nose to the grind because it sounds like God is doing great things through you within your congregation.

Sola Scriptura
Ron