Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday Tidbits

At BBC, we are in the process of revamping our New Members Class. It used to be a expositional walk through the Church Covenant, however it proved to be a bit more than new converts could handle. So, I developed a new curriculum and have spent the past 2 weeks teaching it to the teachers. Contained in this is a Membership Covenant as well as a Leadership Covenant. One of the points that really stood out on tonight was in the Membership Covenant. It says, "I will protect the spiritual unity of our church by expressing an attitude of humility, love, grace, and forgiveness in non-essential issues of personal preference".

This brought about much discussion. So many times churches cease to be what Christ has declared that we are because of non-essential issues of personal preference. I wanted to include this because we "fall out" over these things. Attitudes develop over these things. Meaningless drama is a direct result of non essential issues of personal preference having top billing in the church. A colleague of mine who pastored in Michigan told me of such an example. The time had come in that part of Michigan where the city was no longer going to pick up the garbage from churches. This meant that they had to find waste service as well as trash receptacles. He told me that for the next few hours, the board argued over whether to purchase plastic trash receptacles or galvanized steel trash receptacles. I said. "wow, how silly", but then began to think about other non essentials that consume so much of our time.

I am a firm believer that the principles of God ought to rule over the preferences of people. I told the class that everyone has preferences, but our preferences take 2nd place to God's principles. I remember the old song that said, "Only what you for Christ will last". Class ended with everyone on the page of the Psalmist when he said, " It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man!" To God be the Glory!!!

2 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Dr. Spoon,
Once again you have proven that you have a pastor's heart and that BBC is on your heart. I applaud what you are doing and know that your church will be the better for it. Oh, by the way thanks for having your brother's back earlier. I really appreciate it.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

"Our preferences take second place to God's principles"...my friend, this is SO true and so timely. I have enjoyed this blog in particular. I am glad to see you are on the right course toward a 1st class in your new membership orientation.